1 February 2021|Business Growth, Latest Posts, Launching a business, Marketing, PR, Promotion
Chanelle Segerius-Bruce, CEO of Segerius-Bruce Coaching teaches experienced service-based business owners, who desire to expand their vision and grow their business, how to build a stand-out personal brand and business online. With a career spanning 20-years, Chanelle works with successful entrepreneurs and business giving her clients the tools they need to build their brand online and become the most sought after go-to industry leader that everyone wants to work with. Here she shares her 7 top tips for creating a successful online business.
1. People are craving human connection and a personal touch. These days we want to get to know the CEO’s, founders or business owners. We want to know their stories and why do they what they do.
2. A brand is so much more than a logo. It’s how you make people feel. Be open to sharing stories and allow people in to see a behind the scenes of how you’re growing your company. Show your face. It’s no good hiding behind your product or service these days. Show up on video, teach, share and motivate. Let people into your business life.
3. Take people on a day-in-the-life-of journey behind the scenes. Let them have a glimpse of what it’s like to be you running your business. People love to learn by watching others. If you can leave people feeling inspired and empowered them you’ve done your job for the day in terms of connecting online.
4. Speak to one person at a time. Remember, it’s one person on the other side of the device watching your Instagram Stories, videos or reading your copy. Avoid speaking to a group of people and using the words “them” or “they”. This disassociates the consumers of your content online. Speak directly to one person at a time.
5. Create a niche. Figure out exactly who your Band Hero is (taken from the book The Story Wars by Jonah Sachs). Go deep and get clear on who you serve and it will make content creation so much easier. It’s more about getting to know your ideal client on a soul-level than meer demographics. What do they love? What do they love to hate? What turns them off? What do they aspire to be? What keeps them up at night with worry? What do they want to change? Go deep. Create an avatar of this person and write out a page clearly describing all of their traits. Whenever you go to create a piece of content in the form of a social media post, video, newsletter or even when writing a sales page – refer to this avatar first. Read through it before you do your copywriting and ensure you connect directly with them.
6. Get visible. What does that mean? Show up on video. Embrace live streaming via Facebook Live, Instagram Live or LinkedIn live streaming (which is new!). Work out where your ideal client hangs out and go meet them there on live video. It’s the number one way to create a connection with people, other than actually being in-person with somebody. It will increase the know, like, trust factor of your online brand tenfold.
7. Invest in personal branding images. Gone are the days of boring headshots. Tell a story with your photo-shoot. You are your brand. How can you show your likes, quirks and unique traits through personalised images? Create a storyboard for your shoot day. Look to Pinterest for inspiration and plan out your location and wardrobe. Make sure everything is on-brand and attracts your ideal clients. Be you. Nobody can copy that!