17 June 2021|Latest Posts, Meet the Successful Founder
We had the opportunity to interview Vijay Singh founder of Thrive, as part of our popular Meet the Successful Founder series to discover more about his entrepreneurship journey and company success.
1. Can you tell us a little about your background and the company?
I’m Vijay Singh and I’m the founder of Thrive. My background has been involved in the ecommerce space for the past 8 years and recently I decided to launch a new DTC CBD brand with vision to create a fun, 100% safe and super-transparent CBD brand, appealing to the health-conscious women of today.
2. How did the idea come to you for the company?
Thrive has stemmed from my own love for CBD which started back in 2019 where I was looking for a natural solution to bring some calm into my hectic lifestyle. I was recommended CBD by my wife who had been researching natural remedies. After finally taking the plunge into purchasing some CBD and using it regularly, I started to feel more relaxed, slept better and less stressed! This is where my appreciation for the power of CBD and its game-changing benefits began.
3. How did you achieve awareness?
With the usual digital marketing methods such as Google ads and FB ads being somewhat restricted for CBD brands we are focusing on targeting micro-influencers, brand partnerships and other traditional methods such as PR.
4. How have you been able to gain funding and grow?
Thankfully, I’ve been lucky enough to have been able to start this business with my own funds that I previously saved from other ventures. Having said that, I understand and appreciate that the ultimate scale comes from external funding and something we aspire to do as a company.
5. What are the key successes?
Personally, rather than focusing too much on landmarks or key successes we prefer focusing on making small increments of progress. We have a set of KPI’s that we follow and everytime we beat them, we believe that is what you would call success.
6. What were/are the challenges and how have you overcome these?
CBD still has this stigma or mystique around it specially with alot of misinformation and exaggerated claims. We aim to educate our audience and customers about CBD with 100% transparency and clarity whether it be on our website or through our socials.
7. What are your plans now/for the future?
Our main aim this year is continue raising awareness for Thrive and also create more products that are specific and targeted for areas where our customers most struggle with such as sleep, anxiety etc.
8. What would you like to share with others to encourage them to start their own entrepreneurship journey?
When I speak to my family and friends who would like to start their own businesses it seems that the hardest thing for them to do is start so my words of encouragement would be: Just start!
9. Can you share your top 5-10 tips for entrepreneurial success?
These are my own tips based on my own experiences:
1. Work hard. This is a non-negotiable.
2. Educate yourself. Never stop learning whether it would be books or podcasts.
3. Learn to delegate the tasks you don’t enjoy or are not good at.
4. Listen. Always listen and be a sponge of new information.
5. Work hard. Again 🙂
10. Who are the 5 people who inspire you the most?
1. Ben Francis the founder of Gymshark. To achieve a £1 billion valuation in a highly competitive market, completely bootstrapped without any external funding is ridiculous and ever so inspiring https://www.instagram.com/benfrancis/
2. Rob Moore. I’m an active property investor and Rob Moore is my go to guy for all things property. Ive learnt alot from reading all of his books and listening to his podcasts. https://www.instagram.com/robmooreprogressive/
3. Ali Abdaal. My favourite youtuber and productivity ‘guru’ http://www.youtube.com/user/Sepharoth64
4. Elon Musk. The most important entrepreneur of our generation.
5. Joe Wicks. I think he’s great and he keeps me fit with his HIIT sessions!
11. What are your favourite inspirational /motivational quotes?
“Those who think they can and those who think they can’t are both usually right.”
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
12. What are your social handles and website links so our readers can connect with you?
I’m currently inactive on social media to focus on my work but you can catch me at