4 March 2021|Latest Posts, Meet the Successful Founder
Fiona Grayson, 28, is the Founder of She can. She did. – the UK’s first Benefits Programme for all female business owners in the UK, that’s on a mission to ensure that more female business owners get past their first few years in business by providing the support and security (sans the bull!) to build success on their terms. Having walked away from her corporate career in the summer of 2017, Fi has committed the past three years to debunking the ‘girl boss’ myth and providing the honest realities of what really goes on behind the scenes to not just launch but run, grow and sustain a business as a female founder in the UK to date.
Relaunched in September 2020, She can. She did. now provides all female business owners in the UK with the fundamental elements that recognise, build and reward resilience (including access to health cover, pensions, fitness, wellbeing and maternity support etc… ) and is committed to bridging the gap between female founders’ ambition and what current business infrastructure offers them.Prior to launching She can. She did. Fi worked as a Conference Producer for a Publishing House in the City responsible for their global FX portfolio of events. She holds a first class degree in International History and Politics from the University of Leeds and when she’s not attempting to sound important (!) can be found head to toe in unflattering lycra or on a big country walk with her Golden Retrievers, Hector & Humphrey.
What would you love to share to encourage other women to start their own business?
That running a business can be one of the most incredible journeys you embark on. Ultimately you hold the reins and can decide where it takes you. But it’s so much more than just posting on Instagram so don’t be fooled by a lot of glossy accounts and tales of overnight success. It will be one of the most exhilarating things that you do – at times incredible, at times truly testing (and not in a glamorous movie kind of way, in a ‘snot crying, self-doubt, is this really worth it’ kind of way!) – but if you believe in your idea and vision and are willing to see it through, I say grit your teeth, block out the noise and start chipping away!
What are your top 5 tips for entrepreneurial success?
1. Define success on your terms and yours alone
2. Think tortoise – no matter what social media can make you believe at times, no business is an overnight success and if they are, their systems (or lack of) usually suffer under the immense pressure that comes with scaling quickly. With that in mind, focus on the long-wins and prioritise your how just as much as your why.
3. Honesty never goes out of fashion so don’t be afraid to share the truth at every stage of your company’s growth
4. Surround yourself with people that are rooting for you to win – it doesn’t have to be many, but knowing that you have 3-4 go-to people that you can trust to pick you up when you’re down, champion you, guide you, root for you etc… is crucial.
5. Ask yourself at every stage of your company’s growth, ‘who am I doing this for and will it bring me joy?’
Who are the 5 women who inspire you the most?
Dame Stephanie “Steve” Shirley
What is your favourite saying/inspirational quote?
Ooo that’s so tough! ‘For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.’ – Amanda Gorman.
Website & Socials