7 March 2021|Latest Posts, Meet the Successful Founder
With a career in product (and a love of baking on the side), Kate set to work on some cake kit concepts. It was then, after meeting Louise, the idea for Craft and Crumb really came together. Louise’s background in sales and marketing, coupled with her time as a primary school teacher, helped the pair launch Craft and Crumb.
Craft and Crumb’s mixes, available for nationwide delivery, allow children (and adults) to unleash their inner baker thanks to a variety of innovative kits that are convenient, user-friendly, but most of all, taste delicious!
What would you would love to share to encourage other women to start their own business?
Starting your own business is like jumping aboard a rollercoaster and embracing the ride – it’s stimulating, challenging and thoroughly good fun. We’d encourage anyone considering it, to go for it. Starting our business 5 years ago has allowed us to pursue our own creative ideas, focus on our life work balance, manage our homes and families all whilst working and having fun with a really great friend. Seeing an idea turn into an actual product is an incredible feeling and having loyal customers providing fabulous feedback makes this journey so worthwhile.
What are your 5 top tips for entrepreneurial success?
1. Find yourself a co-founder – I don’t think Kate and I could really do this without each other – not only as a sounding board and fellow decision maker, but it’s a less lonely road when someone’s on the journey with you.
2. Be ahead of the game, spend time planning ahead, we’ve often had our Christmas products lined up about 14 months in advance – you can never be too forward thinking.
3. Always have a Plan B, when we’ve been in a tight squeeze with stock once or twice, we’ve always had a back up plan or supplier lined up.
4. Wear all the hats all the time until you have the money to delegate. We dealt with sourcing, marketing, sales, finance, logistics and everything else until we could afford to delegate and build a team around us.
5. Love your product. You’ll need motivation, confidence and enthusiasm to embrace the highs and the lows. We truly believe in our product and this edges us onwards and upwards every day.
Who are the 5 women who inspire you the most?
· Our Mums!
· Prue Leith
· Sharon Horgan
· Katarina Johnson-Thompson
· Amanda Gorman
What is your favourite saying/inspirational quote?
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. “
Website & Socials