There are many aspects of the world we cannot control, but we can have dominion over the way we navigate through that world. Part of being in business is dealing with frustrations. These frustrations need to be managed – the smart businessperson doesn’t go to war if a customer is rude or if a supplier is difficult. That’s not just bad for business, succumbing to negative emotions such as anger can take its toll on your mental health.
However, we all have times when spontaneous negative thoughts take over our rational mind. If you suppress and bottle up your feelings:
- You can constantly feel frustrated
- Anger can churn inside you causing health issues such as ulcers and digestive problems
- You feel generally miserable and under par
- You may feel misunderstood or ignored
None of these is an aid to running a business.
Where do these unwanted thoughts and emotions come from?
From a spiritual healing perspective, every hurt, trauma or upset you experience will leave an imprint or scar on your spiritual energy – your soul. These imprints hold the memories of the pain you experienced and any emotion that you felt at the time. As time goes by you will naturally heal most of these imprints: you forgive and move on, and you no longer get angry with the situations or people that caused the harm. But there will be some that stick!
These are the typical feelings and emotions that can bubble up and spoil your peace of mind and your relationships (business and personal):
- Anger – this is the most typical suppressed emotion
- Guilt and shame – regrets over your own words or actions
- Depressive and pessimistic thoughts about your future
- Self-critical thoughts and blame that result in low self-esteem, low confidence, and low self-worth.
Again, it’s far from useful to have any of these sloshing around a work environment.
How to prevent negative feelings from repeating
When you experience a trauma, the resulting imprint—locked in memories—can be with you for years to come. An imprint and its stored emotions can flare up at any time when triggered, creating negative thoughts and feelings. For example, if someone talks over you, doesn’t seem to respect you or is overbearing, you may feel a surge of emotions and thoughts bursting up. You may either vent them uncontrollably or push them down – neither way deals with the underlying problem. The solution is to heal the imprints that hold these emotions.
What can you do to release your emotions without harm?
Apart from old imprints that can bubble up at any time, there will be situations that cause your emotions to get the better of you. Without doubt, it’s better to express and let out your feelings rather than bottle them up and storing them away where they become toxic and harmful to you. However, as you know, shouting out what you feel to those that trigger these feelings will do you more harm than good, destroying relationships, upsetting innocent people and causing mayhem in the workplace.
So, how can you let these feelings out harmlessly? How do you vent the anger caused by any of the many situations that occur in your day or that are simmering away from past insults or abuse?
Here is a method used by North American Indians:
- Take a pebble or stone
- Speak or shout your feelings into the pebble
- Hurl the stone over your shoulder as far as you can, preferably into the sea, a river or waste land.
American Indian children were taught not to pick up a stone from the ground without asking permission from the spirit of the stone first. This was to ensure they were not picking up other people’s discarded misery!
My favourite way to express negative feelings is to have a burning ritual. Use this for past injustices or current situations. Just follow these simple but highly effective steps.
- Write down your thoughts with no holds barred. You can swear and shout into the paper as you write, have no inhibitions.
- Write until you have nothing left to say. The energy of your emotions passes from you into the paper.
- Burn the paper. As you see your hurt, anger and frustration going up in smoke and flames say, “I release all that hurts me. My negative feelings are now transformed into light now, right now, right now”.
- Congratulate yourself for releasing your pent up and suppressed toxic energies and transforming them into light. Well done.
Whatever method suits you just remember that when it comes to negative thoughts and feelings, it is most definitely better out than in.
ABOUT ANNE JONES
Anne Jones is an international spiritual healer, teacher, and author of seven books translated into 18 languages. Her books include the best seller ‘Healing Negative Energies’. Anne gives seminars and personal sessions clearing emotional blocks, releasing past life imprints, recovering self-worth and improving relationships. She has developed a training course for healers using energy symbols and supporting products including Oracle Cards and Symbol Jewellery. Anne is also the lyricist of ‘Artaban the Musical’, which debuted in the West End in 2021 and will be launched as a film late this year. Anne is also founder of the charity Hearts and Hands for Africa. Her latest book is ‘How to Heal’.
For further information on Anne’s work: www.annejones.org